What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness. Symptoms of COVID-19 may include:
- Muscle aches and tiredness
- Difficulty breathing
Less commonly: sore throat, headache, diarrhea, conjunctivitis (pink eye), increased falls and confusion in the elderly.
How can I protect myself?
Handwashing is your best defense against a range of illnesses, including COVID-19. Wash your hands often to help prevent exposure to, and transmission of, illness.
Other usual health precautions that can help you protect yourself against COVID-19 and other illnesses:
- Avoiding contact with people who are sick
- Staying home if you are sick
- Practicing proper cough and sneeze etiquette by coughing/sneezing into a tissue, or into your sleeve or arm (and immediately washing your hands afterwards)
- Not touching your face (A virus's port of entry is your eyes, nose, mouth)
- Cleaning your hands before eating/drinking
- Cleaning frequently touched objects and surfaces, like bathroom sinks, kitchen counters, etc.
How to protect yourself against COVID-19 - World Health Organization
What steps is Alexandra Hospital/ Tillsonburg District Memorial Hospital taking to keep patients, visitors and staff safe?
- AHI / TDMH is coordinating with Public Health Ontario, the Ministry of Health and other agencies to help guide decision-making and receive updates on the virus.
- Visitors are limited and must be booked ahead of time. For information and to arrange for a visit, please call the hospital and speak to switchboard.
- Active screening with controlled entry for ALL patients, visitors and staff.
What is happening with surgeries and outpatient services that were cancelled?
TMDH/ AHI continues prioritize services, and preserve hospital capacity as directed by the Ministry of Health and the Government of Ontario. Surgeries and outpatient services that had been cancelled due to COVID -19 are gradually and carefully being reintroduced. Patients whose surgeries or outpatient services were previously cancelled are being contacted by the hospital to reschedule.
How can I get tested for COVID-19?
- Tillsonburg District Memorial Hospital (TDMH) has a COVID-19 Assessment Centre to serve the residents of Tillsonburg and surrounding communities. The Assessment Centre is located down the street from the hospital at 17 Bear Street.
- No referral is needed but for safety reasons, patients will be asked to schedule an appointment for testing. Visits will take less than 15 minutes.”
- The Assessment Centre is open Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm. To book an appointment for COVID-19 testing at the TDMH Assessment Centre call 1-855-905-6148.
If you are concerned about your symptoms, we encourage you to contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 or your primary care provider/family doctor; this will help keep our emergency room resources available for emergent care patients. Please only call 9-1-1 if you are severely unwell.