This on-line program consists of some general knowledge and some specific learning scenarios to help you learn the concepts and principles of privacy and confidentiality.
When you complete this program, you will be able to:
- Differentiate between Privacy and Confidentiality
- Apply principles of Privacy and Confidentiality to your decision making.
The program will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. It consists of 5 short learning modules (Module 1, Module 2 etc.). The first 4 learning modules are applicable to all team members.
When you get to the 5th learning module, please choose the appropriate module that best reflects your work at the hospital. There are four categories to choose from.
- Professional Staff
(Examples of roles included in this group are: Dentists, Physicians and/or Midwives)
- Regulated Health Professionals
(Examples of roles included in this group are: Audiologists, Laboratory Technologist, Medical Radiation Technologists, Nurses, Nutritionists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Social Workers, Speech-Language Therapists, Respiratory Therapists)
- Clinical Support Staff
Individuals who have direct access to patients and patient information (Examples of roles included in this group are: Attendants, Medical Secretaries, Orderlies & Aides, Patient Service Associates, Personal Care Partners, Technical Service Associates, Therapy Aides, Unit & Communication Clerks)
- Non-Clinical Support Staff
(Examples of roles included in this group are: Administration, Communications, Dietary, Finance, Food and Nutrition, Housekeeping, Human Resources, Information Management)
Please print, review, sign and submit a Privacy and Confidentiality Agreement when you have completed the 5 modules.
Please send your signed Agreement to:
TDMH Privacy Office
c/o Health Records, extension 5204
Agreements are sent to be included in your hospital file, i.e. in Human Resources.
The Privacy Officer will:
- Advocate for patient and team member privacy
- Provide expertise and guidance for the implementation of privacy laws and principles
- Ensure compliance by conducting internal audits and reviewing organizational processes
- Refer to the TDMH Privacy Website
- Contact your Executive Leader or Service Coordinator
- Contact the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
TDMH Privacy Officer
(519) 842-3611 ext. 5204